Poster: Arbuthnot Date: Jul 19, 2008 11:46pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: An Odd Dilemma (Non-Jerry)

check out the e-mail that was just delivered to my inbox; of course my dilemma is that since i don't have or use banks, i am not able to take this financial burden on; anyone here able to help this poor chap out?

======

From: "Capt. Brian Morgan"
To: Undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:07:28 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Dear Friend

Dear Friend,

Good day and compliments, I know this letter will definitely come to you as a huge surprise, I am Capt. Brian Morgan, a US Marine, serving in the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment which Patrols the Anbar province, Iraq.

I am desperately in need of Your assistance and I have summoned up courage to contact you. I am presently in Iraq. I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of £4,500,000:00 (Four million, Five Hundred Thousand pounds sterling) to the States or any safe country, as far as I can be assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here.

Kindly Contact me via my private Email: captbrian_morgan@yahoo.com.hk so that I can furnish you with more details.

Respectfully,
Capt. Brian Morgan
United States Marine Corps IRAQ.

Poster: Purple Gel Date: Jul 20, 2008 12:06am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: An Odd Dilemma (Non-Jerry)

I hope you're kidding, this is just a variation on the Nigerian Scam.

Poster: veblen Date: Jul 20, 2008 4:04am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: 419'ers (Non-Jerry)

as someone that gets 20 or more 419 scams a day I just began seeing the new twist of having notes from "military personnel" trying to hook you into the scam...

(btw: my address is being pulled from job boards.)

I agree that the new twist is somewhat disturbing...one note from a Sgt Brown is below is another "fine" example of the new notes...

another somewhat new twist are the notes stating that they know you have been contacted by 419'ers but they will protect you and help you obtain your money...

even though there are more to take their place I have gotten into the habit of sending a note to the abuse@yahoo.com or whatever and at least those ids and names are purged...not much, but it does make me feel a little bit better...

after studying this stuff for years I think I could come up with scam notes better than these folks...though I was born with one of those moral/ethical genes that prevents me from doing so...

----
gotta say the caps add a different flavor especially since the bad 419'ers have a tendency to capitalize every other word if not every one...and of course he ends with a "god bless" which always is a good addition...though still the amount is in the unbelievable range as most of the notes...

READ CAREFULLY AND REPLY URGENTLY!

MY NAME IS (STAFF SGT.) IRVIN BROWN, I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER, SERVING IN THE MILITARY WITH THE ARMY’S 3RD INFANTRY DIVISION. I HAVE A VERY DESPERATE NEED FOR ASSISTANCE AND HAVE SUMMED UP COURAGE TO CONTACT YOU.

I FOUND YOUR CONTACT PARTICULARS IN AN ADDRESS JOURNAL AND I AM SEEKING YOUR KIND ASSISTANCE TO MOVE THE SUM OF EIGHT MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS (US$8,000,000) TO YOU IN UNITED STATES, AS FAR AS I CAN BE ASSURED THAT MY SHARE WILL BE SAFE IN YOUR CARE UNTIL I COMPLETE MY
SERVICE HERE.

SOURCE OF MONEY:
SOME MONEY IN VARIOUS CURRENCIES WERE DISCOVERED IN BARRELS AT A FARMHOUSE NEAR ONE OF SADDAM’S OLD PALACES IN TIKRIT-IRAQ DURING A RESCUE OPERATION, AND IT WAS AGREED BY STAFF SGT KENNETH BUFF AND I THAT SOME PART OF THIS MONEY BE SHARED BETWEEN BOTH OF US BEFORE INFORMING ANYBODY
ABOUT IT SINCE BOTH OF US SAW THE MONEY FIRST. THIS WAS QUITE AN ILLEGAL THING TO DO, BUT I TELL YOU WHAT! NO COMPENSATION CAN MAKE UP FOR THE RISK WE HAVE TAKEN WITH OUR LIVES IN THIS HELL HOLE, OF WHICH MY BROTHER
IN-LAW WAS KILLED BY A ROAD SIDE BOMB LAST TIME.

THE ABOVE FIGURE WAS GIVEN TO ME AS MY SHARE, AND TO CONCEAL THIS KIND OF MONEY BECAME A PROBLEM FOR ME BUT WITH THE HELP OF A BRITISH CONTACT WORKING HERE AND WITH HIS OFFICE ENJOYING SOME IMMUNITY, I WAS ABLE TO
GET THE PACKAGE OUT TO A SAFE LOCATION ENTIRELY OUT OF TROUBLE SPOT. HE DOES NOT KNOW THE REAL CONTENTS OF THE PACKAGE, AND BELIEVES THAT IT BELONGS TO A BRITISH/AMERICAN MEDICAL DOCTOR WHO DIED IN A RAID HERE IN IRAQ, AND BEFORE GIVING UP, TRUSTED ME TO HAND OVER THE PACKAGE TO HIS
FAMILY IN UNITED STATES. I HAVE NOW FOUND A VERY SECURED WAY OF GETTING THE PACKAGE OUT OF IRAQ TO YOU AT HOME FOR YOU TO PICK UP, AND I WILL DISCUSS THIS WITH YOU WHEN I AM SURE THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO ASSIST ME AND THAT MY MONEY WILL BE WELL SECURED IN YOUR HAND.

I WANT YOU TO TELL ME HOW MUCH YOU WILL TAKE FROM THIS MONEY FOR THE ASSISTANCE YOU WILL GIVE TO ME. ONE PASSIONATE APPEAL I WILL MAKE TO YOU IS NOT TO DISCUSS THIS MATTER WITH ANYBODY, SHOULD YOU HAVE REASONS TO
REJECT THIS OFFER, PLEASE AND PLEASE DESTROY THIS MESSAGE AS ANY LEAKAGE OF THIS INFORMATION WILL BE TOO BAD FOR THE U.S. SOLDIER’S HERE IN IRAQ.
I DO NOT KNOW HOW LONG WE WILL REMAIN HERE, MONTH OF MAY WAS THE DEADLIEST MONTH FOR US OUT HERE. TOTALY, WE LOST 127 MEN AND I HAVE BEEN SHOT, WOUNDED AND SURVIVED TWO SUICIDE BOMB ATTACKS BY THE SPECIAL GRACE OF GOD. THIS AND OTHER REASONS I WILL MENTION LATER HAS PROMPTED ME TO
REACH OUT FOR HELP. I HONESTLY WANT THIS MATTER TO BE RESOLVED IMMEDIATELY, PLEASE CONTACT ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WITH MY PRIVATE E-MAILADDRESS WHICH IS MY ONLY WAY OF COMMUNICATION (E-MAIL irvinbrown441@gmail.com)

MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

SGT. IRVIN BROWN

yep, love those caps...

Poster: He Live's Date: Jul 20, 2008 12:07am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: 11/20/71 Re-edit AVAILABLE! (new jerry)

hello arbuthnot

i am in no way an audiophile, not compulsive about it in anyway.... but i have to say, THIS VERSION of the show from Pauley Pavilion, NOVEMBER 1971 kicks the everloving shit out of whatever version i had been hearing....

a fine, fine mix of the instruments and vocals -- NO HISS ....

on about t jed NOW

This post was modified by He Live's on 2008-07-20 07:07:50

Poster: Arbuthnot Date: Jul 20, 2008 12:18am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 11/20/71 Re-edit AVAILABLE! (new jerry)

He Lives ... i did secure that definite upgrade of the Pauley show, however, and please take no offense, because none intended, but i am in JERRY mode right now, and for the forseeable future; you can take your Dews, your Darkstars, your Drums, your damned Death Don't Have No Mercys, and do with them what you will, but please leave me to my infinitely superior JERRY stuff; nazdravi ... Arbuthnot

Poster: cush212 Date: Jul 20, 2008 11:30am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 11/20/71 Re-edit AVAILABLE! (new jerry)

Uppity Elitist!!!

:)

Poster: William Tell Date: Jul 20, 2008 5:23pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Hobbes, Jerry and Arb

Hey Cush! Yep, Arb is putting in significant time on this defn tome. I reckon it'll blow all previous Hobbesian analyses out of the water...when he intermingles the Euclidean Jam with the Dire Condition of Man, lookout!

Seriously, though--good to see you. However, these brief "Cush Sightings" have got to be replaced with a full time presence...when your real life permits of course.

Forgot this:

"In Leviathan, Hobbes set out his doctrine of the foundation of societies and legitimate governments. Leviathan was written during the English Civil War; much of the book is occupied with demonstrating the necessity of a strong central authority to avoid the evil of discord and civil war.

Beginning from a mechanistic understanding of human beings and the passions, Hobbes postulates what life would be like without government, a condition which he calls the state of nature. In that state, each person would have a right, or license, to everything in the world. This inevitably leads to conflict, a "war of all against all" (bellum omnium contra omnes), and thus lives that are "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short" (xiii).

To escape this state of war, men in the state of nature accede to a social contract. According to Hobbes, society is a population beneath a sovereign authority, to whom all individuals in that society cede their natural rights for the sake of protection. Any abuses of power by this authority are to be accepted as the price of peace. However, he also states that in severe cases of abuse, rebellion is expected. In particular, the doctrine of separation of powers is rejected:[3] the sovereign must control civil, military, judicial and ecclesiastical powers."

Apropos LMA, eh?

This post was modified by William Tell on 2008-07-21 00:23:52

Poster: veblen Date: Jul 20, 2008 5:37pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Hobbes, Jerry and Arb

a reference to Thomas Hobbes on this site is so nice to see...though admittedly I thought I was going to see something on hobbes as in calvin and hobbes and not the great thomas...

"the state of nature is nasty, brutish and short..."

once I was stoned in class and heard the above as "the state of nature is full of nasty british in shorts..."

but that laugh sparked my interest in hobbes and I have been reading him ever since...

Poster: He Live's Date: Jul 20, 2008 12:47am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 11/20/71 Re-edit AVAILABLE! (new jerry)

sorry to interrupt. here let me completely mess you up....

..... and goodnight SIR!.

Poster: Arbuthnot Date: Jul 20, 2008 1:19am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: the Anti-Jerry

are you hip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIT3xvCHQG4

This post was modified by Arbuthnot on 2008-07-20 08:19:14

Poster: jglynn1.2 Date: Jul 20, 2008 4:24am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: the Anti-Jerry

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3887t3M4llI

Poster: He Live's Date: Jul 20, 2008 10:54am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: the Anti-Jerry

unga bunga binga bunga